I bought a secondhand 4-shaft loom, assembled it and then let it sit in the lounge been taking up room and collecting dust for a month. Finally I decided that I had better do something with it so I whipped out the copy of the book "The Four-shaft Loom" by Anne Field and followed the instructions in there for a first project, the result of which you can see below.
Of course there were a few mishaps along the way, mainly due to me not reading all the words before starting but I got there in the end and learnt quite a bit which is after all the point of practise. My navy wool was slightly thinner than the cream and I beat too hard for most of this project so the twill weaves didn't come out properly. Then I continued with the same warp and tried out a couple of other yarns for the weft. About a quarter of the way into using the grey I finally realised that I was beating too hard and after that the twill weave patterns looked a lot better. The cream and red yarns shrunk more than the grey when I washed the finished piece which is why it narrows.
I haven't forgotten about my rigid heddle loom though, here's a laptop case and bag I made using a piece I wove on that. The bluey purple colour is actually a dark purple and I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. Now I have to decide what to do next, better start something before I forget everything I've managed to learn so far.