Pages

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

17 May 2017

 We had a challenge at our Spinners & Weavers Group retreat to create a wallhanging referencing the design of a cloak with a border and ties at the neck.  The main body was knitted using a strand of flax/harakeke and in my case jute.

The border was woven using a simple outdoor loom made of yarn tensioned between tent pegs stuck in the ground ( I really thought there'd be a photo of something like that on the internet but I can't find one).  Anyway here's my border fresh off the loom, these are all bits of plant from my garden.


 And then I brought it home and played with it a bit more, added some more stuff to the top (bits of actual harakeke flowers and flowers made from harakeke leaves. Then I joined the knitting and the border together and attached it to a stick so I could hang it up.

Finally I added some harakeke seed pods to the bottom, which seem to have an infinite number of seeds in them.

And now it hangs on a bedroom door casually dropping harakeke seeds below.


Saturday, May 13, 2017

13 May 2017

 I have a new loom, an Ashford Jack loom.  It was my birthday present.. For a couple of weeks the boxes lay on the dining room floor, then I finally unpacked it and started the assembly.

 And then it was a couple more weeks before I finally warped it up and started weaving.


The yarn is a cotton/rayon mix that I bought because it was cheap and I wanted something to practice with.  It came in two colours, navy and a sandy colour which I overdyed.  The resulting colours are what you end up with when you use dye solutions that are past their use-by-date, that's to day nothing like what was expected but at least it means that they're unique.





The pattern is a 2/2 twill uneven vertical zigzag, I didn't want to try anything too complicated as it was my first time using a floor loom.



And to finish, here's a photo of my lovely assistant.
 


April 2017

Love this seaweed, a pop of colour amongst the browns and greens.

Monday, November 28, 2016

Origami Bag


It's been a while but I finally warped up my rigid heddle loom and did a bit of weaving.

 
Yarn: Handspun and dyed, unsure of breed but probably alpaca, very hairy alpaca which is why I'm using it for a bag and not a scarf.
  
 
 
 Sett: 3 e.p.cm
Warp length: 2 m
Number of ends: 132
Finished width: 40 cm
Finished length: 151 cm

 
Warp: 2 white, 1 coloured
Weft: 1 coloured, 1 white 


Warp: 2 white, 1 coloured
Weft: 1 coloured, 2 white 


Bag pattern as mentioned in this post azuma-bukuro-bag
Fabric dimensions: 1.2m  x 0.4m 
Lined with fabric from an old sheet.







Sunday, July 3, 2016

Black Windowpanes

A scarf for my daughter, black as per school uniform regulations.


Woven on a rigid heddle loom, heddle: 30/10 
Yarn: 2 ply black wool from Anna Gratton used double.
Pattern: Single windowpane p100, The Weaver's Idea Book by Jane Patrick.
  

Scarf dimensions
Off loom and before washing
Width: 37cm   Length: 230cm

After washing and finishing
Width: 31cm   Length: 215cm



Saturday, June 4, 2016

A Sneaky Paper Shrug.



I'm always looking for patterns that I could use to make simple garments from my weaving experiments. I read the Fadnista's sneaky shrug tutorial a couple of weeks ago and  so this morning I mocked up a paper version. It took me a little while to understand the instructions but then it clicked. Now to try it out with some fabric.